We’re into the natural way, so our pills are filled with vitamins and supplements. Curious how we stay healthy? Keep reading.
Everyone has their own opinion on vitamins & supplements and we’re no different. Over the years, we’ve read a lot of nutrition books and articles. And we’ve attended some seminars on the topic as well. Here’s some of our current thought on vitamins & supplements.
Keep It Simple
Currently, we take the “less is more” approach to vitamins. We’ve always believed that most of your nutrition should come from real FOOD. Vitamins should not be used as a “hall pass” for poor eating choices.
Reasons we take supplements
- Fill in the gaps — Even the best eaters might have a hard time getting optimal nutrient amounts all the time. And for the rest of us, some vitamin “insurance” might help us stay healthy and happy.
- Address specific health problems — if you can’t find a real food solution for your dis-ease, then why not look for a natural supplement to ease your pain? Just make sure that it’s safe and effective. Don’t just take something because your brother-in-law read something on the internet that said it would cure you.
This is what we take…most of the time.
- Fish oils — these have been popular for a couple decades now, and we still love ’em. Good for your brain, heart, joints, and a lot of other things. This is a fill-in-the-gaps supplement. Our guidelines are pretty specific. Email me if you have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vitamin D — this one’s been really popular lately. Lots of good reasons to take it, especially for us in the beautiful Northwest. We use this one to fill-in-the-gaps and boost our immune systems! Take 5000 IU per day.
- Probiotics — take care of your guts and they’ll take care of you. This is a fill-in-the-gaps supplement and helps us keep our digestion “regular”. Take 20-30 billion CFU / day.
- Quality Multivitamin/mineral — this is the ultimate fill-in-the-blanks weapon. We actually don’t take one right now, but maybe we should? We’d like to think that we get enough quality nutrients in our food.
That’s it! For most of the year, that’s our foundation. We’ll take some others throughout the year as needed, like B-Vitamins for stress, or Zinc for an immune boost. But we try to use them sparingly and always keep our focus on good nutrition and eating habits at the table.
Want To Live Forever? It’s Not That Simple
For the supplement nerds out there, boosting your endogenous antioxidants might be a good idea. Endogenous antioxidants are way more powerful than the antioxidants you just added to your smoothie, so these will help you stay healthy till you’re a billion years old :)
Here’s a few to consider:
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid
- N-Acetly Cysteine (NAC)
- Undenatured Whey Protein.
I know this just got boring and complicated for most of you. So I’ll stop there.